A new network of night trains will connect more than 200 European cities

A trans-European network of night trains will make a strong comeback in the emergency action against climate change, consisting of 40 long-distance international lines.

As a result, by 2030 it will connect more than 200 cities and places across Europe, from Lisbon in the west to Moscow in the east and from Helsinki in the north to Malaga in the south, reports SchengenVisaInfo.com.

In this regard, Euronews revealed that aviation generates nearly 14% of emissions, making it the second largest source of GHG emissions from transport after road transport.

It was also reported that the EuroNight train is powered by renewable energy. Meanwhile, data from the European Environment Agency shows that where air travel generates 252.8 grams of carbon per kilometer travelled, train travel emits just 22.4 grams.

More and more travelers prefer night trains who want to try to reduce CO2 emissions and are looking for a more relaxed way to reach their destination.

Faced with the situation, countries such as the Netherlands and Spain have proposed banning flights that can be made by train in three hours or less, replacing them with train journeys.

>> France to suspend short-haul flights from April

Inspired by the London Underground, the German Green Party created a map based on current rail lines. In addition, the project explains that the system should be supported by comfortable, quiet and fast trains of 200 to 250 kilometers per hour, thus creating trips with an average duration of 9 to 14 hours.

Although the fastest trains in the world run in Japan, Europe accounts for 60% of the world’s high-speed rail lines, while the remaining 40% is split between Asia with 30% and America and Europe. Africa with 10% cent.

At the same time, by 2030 the EU aims to double the use of high-speed rail and triple current levels by 2050.

As for the Dutch-Belgian railway company European Sleeper, it has indicated that it wishes, by the end of next year, to run a night train to Barcelona several times a week.

After filing the application with the Dutch Authority for Consumers and Markets (ACM), the train, which is expected to depart from the Dutch capital of Amsterdam and make several stops in the Netherlands, Belgium and France, is expected to leave three times a week to Spain from December 10, 2023, and possibly start even earlier now.

Earlier, SchengenVisaIndo.com reported that a new sleeper train linking London and Stockholm in less than 24 hours would start operating this month, further easing the travel process.

>> Train travel in Germany increases in rural tourist areas after introduction of €9 train tickets

About Opal Jones

Check Also

It was an ‘honor to share all these years’ with Federer, says Nadal

MADRID, Spain, September 15 — Rafael Nadal said it was “an honor” to share “incredible …