Energy and environment – Democrats set to bypass key date on climate agenda

Democrats are set to miss a key deadline for passing President Biden’s climate and social spending agenda, while politicians talk climate change and more at the World Economic Forum.

It’s the night of energy and the environment, your source for the latest news focused on energy, the environment and beyond. For The Hill, we are Rachel Frazin and Zack Budryk. Did someone forward this newsletter to you? Subscribe here.

Memorial Day is approaching without a deal

Democrats are set to smash through the Memorial Day deadline to reach an agreement with Sen. Joe Manchin (DW.Va.) on a lightened budget reconciliation bill to raise taxes, fight change climate and reduce the cost of prescription drugs.

Senate Democratic sources say there’s no chance of getting a deal this week, but they say that doesn’t necessarily mean negotiations on a long-awaited budget reconciliation package are doomed.

Some optimistic Democratic aides note that none of the Senate majority leaders Charles Schumer (DN.Y.) nor Manchin identified the Memorial Day suspension as a deadline.

Set a new date: Instead, Democrats are once again pushing back the target date to strike a deal with Manchin. They are now pointing to the start of the August recess as a new deadline, arguing that gives them most of August to draft the legislation and September to pass it.

Passing major legislation in September of an election year is extremely difficult, and high inflation was the main reason for Manchin’s opposition to the package. The country’s concerns about inflation have only increased in recent weeks.

Postponing the deadline, however, shows that some Democrats refuse to publicly throw in the towel on the package.

“We’re hearing that it’s really a Schumer conversation and there’s progress, but until we actually see that there’s been an agreement and a first on the agreement and that we’re going to put it on the floor, I’m going to be skeptical,” one Democrat said. senator, characterizing conversations with fellow Senate Democrats about the state of negotiations.

The lawmaker said Schumer took the lead in the talks because senior White House officials damaged their relationship with Manchin when talks broke down in December.

Meanwhile, Manchin, who is the Senate’s key vote, said he would like to see lawmakers tackle inflation, drug prices and energy ahead of the midterm elections.

“I think there is an opportunity that we can do something,” he told the annual meeting of the World Economic Forum on Monday when asked if meaningful legislation would be passed ahead of the election. mid-term.

On energy in particular, he said: “The third thing is going to be energy and climate, and you can’t do one without the other. The United States of America has an abundant supply of natural gas and oil and we can use our fossil fuel and the cleanest technology humanly possible.

He also talked about following “two paths”, including “investing in…the technology that will be necessary for the transition that will occur”.

But he warned against “eliminating one”, saying, “this is the European model that Germany followed. It didn’t succeed.”

Read more about the state of the spending negotiations here, from The Hill’s Alexander Bolton.

Another dispatch from Davos

On Tuesday, climate envoy John Kerry warned against the expansion of new fossil fuel infrastructure amid the crisis in Ukraine.

“Nobody should believe that the Ukraine crisis is an excuse to suddenly build the old kind of infrastructure that we had,” he said.

“We can do what we have to do when it comes to Ukraine. We can do what we need to do when it comes to the climate crisis, but we can’t be seduced into thinking that it’s suddenly an open door to go back and do what we were doing that created the crisis in the first place. place,” he added. .

But Kerry approved of short-term production, especially shale.

“Yes, there must be a resupply of gas to Europe that was lost in the cutoff with Russia,” he said. “As…the International Energy Agency makes clear, there are ways to deliver this gas, ranging from using shale, which is quick to market…to piping for venting and flaring,” did he declare.

NOT EXCLUDING EXPORT RESTRICTIONS

Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm said Tuesday that the administration was not ruling out curbs on fuel exports in response to high prices when asked about it.

Granholm said, “I can confirm that the president is not taking any tools off the table,” after being asked if the United States would consider restricting oil exports, according to Reuters.

However, a White House official noted that the administration has long said it is leaving all possible tools on the table.

NOAA expects above-average hurricane season

Hurricane activity in 2022 is expected to be above average for the seventh straight year, according to a forecast released Tuesday by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

Between June 1 and November 30:

  • 14 to 21 named storms are likely
  • Up to 10 of them could become full hurricanes (storms with winds of at least 74 miles per hour) according to NOAA forecasts
  • Of these, three to six could qualify as “major” hurricanes, or those reaching Category 3, 4 or 5, with winds of at least 111 mph
  • Typical seasons have about 14 named storms, 7 hurricanes, and three major hurricanes

Overall, NOAA estimated there was a 65% chance the season was above normal, compared to a 25% chance conditions were about normal and a 10% chance the season was below normal. to normal.

NOAA attributed the increased likelihood to a number of weather conditions, in particular an ongoing Pacific La Nina, a phenomenon that lowers sea surface temperatures and is expected to last for the rest of the season. In addition, there are above average temperatures in the Caribbean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean.

Learn more here.

ON SALE TOMORROW

  • Senate Environment and Public Works Committee to Consider Appointment of Joe Goffman to Head EPA’s Air and Radiation Bureau
  • House Financial Services Committee to Hold Hearing on National Flood Insurance Program Reauthorization

WHAT WE READ

  • The United States has spent over $2 billion on a salmon rescue plan. The fish are disappearing anyway. (Oregon Public Broadcasting and ProPublica)
  • The lithium war next door (HuffPost)
  • USDA whistleblower reveals fraudulent wolf killings (The Intercept)
  • Climate concerns are galvanizing a new pro-nuclear movement in the United States (The Washington Post)
  • Aviation giant KLM set to face legal action in airline industry’s first major ‘greenwash’ challenge (CNBC)

And finally, something quirky and quirky: Use your noodle.

That’s all for today, thanks for reading. Check out The Hill’s Energy and Environment page for the latest news and coverage. Well see you tomorrow.

SEE THE FULL VERSION HERE

About Opal Jones

Check Also

Undeterred by climate change, US homeowners are moving to climate-vulnerable areas

This message was originally published on this site Drone/aerial photography, Miami Beach, Florida. Credit: Alan …